Sunday 30 October 2011

Breakthrough!

To say I've been struggling with the dreaded writer's block lately would be something of an understatement. I've been plagued by the terror of a blank screen for weeks now, and deciding to just type whatever comes into my head always seems to turn into a paragraph of such utter shite that even a dog would bark at it with disgust. So far, so typical.

Then the strangest thing happened - I've been in Caffe Nero for the past hour...and I've been writing. Writing actual words that even form sentences, which are part of paragraphs that aren't completely repugnant and worthless! Huzzah! All it took was a simple switch from the blank white screen to a blank page of a narrow-lined notebook, and the rest just came. Easy.

Even weirder than the lifting of the block though was what came out through my pen. You should know at this point that I never, ever physically plan anything I write, though I usually come up with a fairly detailed plot/character outline(s) in my head before I start writing things down. What came out today though was something I don't recall even having thought about before; it's writing what I know, I suppose, but it's so weird and a little eerie that this narrative exists now when I didn't even know what I was writing before I started. I just...well, started.

...but at least now I have something to work on during NaNoWriMo! Unless my strange ideas of inexplicable origin dry up between now and Tuesday, of course ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment