Saturday 29 October 2011

Comment Is Free, But That Opinion Will Cost You

I despair at humanity sometimes, I really do. Many of these people who cause me so much despair are my fellow Guardian readers, annoyingly enough; for in the Comment Is Free pages lurks a pit of squirming, stinking prejudice, hate and snobbery.

Don't get me wrong - not all the commenters on there are completely batshit, and many of them often have valid points, but some of them are so stupid and annoying that you just want to shake them until noises stop coming out of them. Don't believe me? Have a look through as many of the 267 comments on a piece by regular contributor Tanya Gold: I blame the media for ignoring feminism in favour of makeup.

A dodgy title, admittedly, but when you get into the bones of the piece it strikes a valid point about the lack of women who would choose to identify as feminist, and the fact that the media mainly does nothing but reinforce gender/beauty stereotypes to the nth degree. What you see in that mire of depressing comments is basically a bunch of people determined to troll the article to death, without realising their troll-ness. The piece is picked apart, chewed and spat out by people who insist there is a nefarious 'feminist agenda' at work as opposed to the agenda for total equality; this approach, from people who would be pretty tolerant of my way of life and agree with many things I do, just doesn't make sense to me, and this is basically what I see every time I take a look at a Guardian blog/comment article. I don't understand how these people always disagree with what seems to me to be a sensible or valid point.

No comments:

Post a Comment